Friday, January 6, 2012

There's a bug in my coffee!

With a nursing 6 month old and a 19 month old, a full night of sleep is simply "once upon a dream."  Between the two of them, I find myself awakened not just multiple times a night, but sometimes multiple times an hour!  Crying for hunger, crying for a diaper, lost a pacifier, wet the bed, the list goes on and on - and that's just for the babies, we're not even talking about bathroom runs and bad dreams for the older two!  Needless to say, I have operated on an intense sleep deficit for years now.  The question is merely: Is it a two cup day, or a 3 cup day?
It was definitely in the "3 cup day" realm a few days ago when I had to put my mug down to deal with crying children (did I mention I also judge busyness by the number of times I have to re-warm my cup of coffee?).  When I came back to my now lukewarm coffee, I began to drink in the fabulous caffeine when I saw something move in my peripheral vision.  I startled, heart-racing, as I looked into my coffee cup trying to withhold the scream building in my throat - was that a bug I just saw in my cup?  Did I just drink coffee with bug juice in it?!  As I stirred the possibly poisoned drink with my spoon I suddenly saw it........a toy!  A child had dropped a toy in my cup!  With a huge sigh of relief, I sat back down and began to drink my coffee - toy and all.  I mean, hey, at least it wasn't a bug.

1 comment: